You will lie on his or her back on an examining table. The radiologist or sonographer will spread warm gel on the skin, then press and move the transducer firmly against the abdomen, moving it back and forth until the desired images are captured. There may be minimal discomfort from pressure as the transducer is pressed against the area being examined.
An abdominal ultrasound produces a picture of the organs and other structures in the upper abdomen.
A Doppler ultrasound study may be part of an abdominal ultrasound examination.
Abdominal ultrasound imaging is performed to evaluate the:
- abdominal aorta and other blood vessels of the abdomen
- Prostate in men / boys
- Uterus and ovaries in women / girls
Ultrasound is used to help diagnose a variety of conditions, such as:
- abdominal pain or distention.
- abnormal liver function.
- enlarged abdominal organ.
- stones in the gallbladder or kidney.
- an aneurysm in the aorta.
Ultrasound is used to help physicians evaluate symptoms such as: