You will need to take the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death to the Registrar of Births and Deaths within five working days so that you can register the death.
You may register at either Guildford, Leatherhead or Weybridge Register Office, but you must make an appointment first. Please telephone 0300 200 1002.
|Weybridge Register Office
81 Oatlands Drive
|Guildford Register Office
|Leatherhead Register Office
The Registrar will require the following information about the person who has died:
- Full name (and, if applicable, their maiden surname)
- Home address
- Date and place of birth
- Occupation (and, if applicable, their spouse’s occupation)
- Were they receiving any pension or benefit from the state
- The date of birth of their surviving spouse (if applicable)
The Registrar will give you:
- As many certified copies of the death certificate as you require. These currently cost £3.50 each. It is wise to obtain the copies you need when you register the death as certificates obtained later may cost more.
- A certificate of burial or cremation (known as a green form). This gives permission for a burial to take place or for an application for cremation to be made. You should hand this green form to your chosen Funeral Director who will need it before he can carry out your wishes.
- A Death Certificate Form BD8. This is for Pensions & Benefits purposes only. Complete the back of the form and then telephone 0845 6060 265 and quote either the National Insurance number or the postcode of the person who has died, and you will be given the appropriate address to send the form. On receipt of the form any allowance will be cancelled and arrears paid.