Welcome to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at St Peter's Hospital
We understand that as parents this can be a very emotional and worrying time for you. You are the most important people to your baby and we want your experience of our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit to be a positive and supportive one.
We are extremely proud to have been accredited with the Bliss Baby Charter Award in December 2019, for our commitment to family integrated care.
These webpages will introduce you to the Neonatal Unit and will explain some important aspects of your baby's care. Members of the neonatal team are on hand to help answer any questions you may have.
- Our Unit
- Meet the Team
- Family Centred Care
- Parent Facilities
- Infant Feeding - Donor Milk Bank
- Research and Quality Improvement
- Patient Leaflets
- Useful Websites
For recent news articles about the NICU, please visit our Maternity pages here.
Information about access to our NICU can be found on the AccessAble website.
Philosophy of Care
For every baby and their family admitted to our Neonatal Unit, we aim to provide excellence in family integrated care care within a safe and nurturing environment.
Working in partnership, we will compassionately support and encourage parents and families to participate in all aspects of their babies care.
We have a research based approach to neonatal care and encourage personal and professional development of all our staff.
It is our belief that every baby should be treated with respect and dignity throughout their unique journey, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
Our Trust Strategy
NICU Mission Statement
Babies and their families are at the centre of our service as we strive for excellence and innovation.
We have aligned our service with the BAPM (British Association of Perinatal Medicine) Neonatal Service Quality Indicators; and participate actively in national benchmarking with the National Neonatal Audit Programme (NNAP).
- Family centred care that focuses on the needs of the baby first and values the family as an important member of the team.
- To provide excellence in clinical care, service and communication.
- Ensure collaboration within our institution and with the other agencies who share our mission and goals.
- Leadership that sets the standard for neonatal health care today.
- Accountability to our babies, communities and each other providing the best services we can.