Before you leave, a member of the nursing team will discharge you and ensure you have:
- Individual advice and information about how to care for yourself after your treatment.
- Contact telephone numbers in case you require any further advice or information after your discharge.
- Any dressings / supplies you may require.
- Medicines if prescribed. Please note that, if you pay for your prescriptions, you will be charged for each item of medication you take home. There is a machine on the Unit which takes card / cash for this purpose.
- A sick certificate if this has been requested.
- A letter for your records (one will be automatically sent to your GP, if required), giving details of your operation / Procedure.
You must be collected from the Unit by a responsible adult if you have had a general anaesthetic or sedation and someone should stay with you for the next 24 hours from the time of your discharge. When you get home, if you experience any problems, or need further advice, please do not hesitate to contact the Day Surgery Unit or, out of hours, the Surgical Assessment Unit on the numbers provided on discharge.
In an emergency, please contact your GP or go to the nearest Walk-In Centre or Accident and Emergency Department.