About the service
The Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) team provides support to patients with Crohn’s disease or Ulcerative Colitis. The IBD team is a multidisciplinary team of Consultant Gastroenterologists, Surgeons, Registrars, Pharmacists, Nurses and Dieticians, all with specialist knowledge of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
The service includes:
- Outpatient clinic review (via referral pathway) including; face to face and telephone appointments
- IBD Transition Service run by Dr Gunasekera, Dr Thakur Consultant Paediatrician and a Tertiary Centre Paediatric Gastroenterology Consultant.
- Inpatient review
- IBD helpline – access via telephone
- Endoscopy investigations
- Radiology investigations
- Access to SDEC (Same Day Emergency Care) and CAU (Clinical Assessment Unit)
- Access to Homecare services for biologic therapy
- Multi-disciplinary team meetings to discuss complex patients and treatment management
- Colorectal review if required
- Dietetics review if required
- Access to Stoma Care
- Teaching and training to staff, patients and relatives.
IBD Helpline Service - 01932 722244
We currently only have 1 IBD Specialist Nurse. The helpline will remain open at the following times:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9 - 12.
We aim to respond to all helpline calls in order of clinical priority and within 72 working hours, however, we thank you for your patience and understanding if wait times are longer.
If you are feeling extremely unwell, please do not wait for the nurse to call. Please seek alternative medical advice from your GP, NHS 111 or attend A&E.
What is the helpline for?
They're for IBD patients who:
- Are having a flare-up or worried about adverse symptoms
- Are in between appointments
- Need advice direct from an IBD Nurse Specialist
They shouldn’t be used:
- In an emergency / as an emergency contact
- To arrange or change routine appointments
- For more general information about IBD
- For medical advice unrelated to IBD
Frequently Asked Questions are answered here, and for more general information about Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis and other forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), patients can contact the Crohn's & Colitis UK Helpline.