There is a wealth of evidence that breastmilk and breastfeeding reduces the risk of babies developing infectious diseases.
Mothers are encouraged to breastfeed directly whenever possible and maximise the amount of breastmilk they are able to provide.
At present, there is no evidence that Covid-19 is transmitted through breastmilk. Infection can be spread to the baby in the same way as to anyone else.
- Wash their hands before touching the baby, breast pump or bottles.
- Avoid coughing or sneezing on the baby while feeding at the breast, by cup, syringe, tube or bottle.
- Wipe the breast pump with antibacterial wipes before and after they use it.
- Clean all pumping and feeding equipment thoroughly with warm soapy water and dry with clean paper towel. Store pump kits in a sealed box with a lid.
- Clean bottles for formula with warm soapy water, rinse and then sterilise between feeds.
- Express, label and store breastmilk in the fridge provided. Ask your midwife for guidance.
Unicef UK Baby Friendly Initiative
Antenatal Breastfeeding Workshops and Support
Good news! Our antenatal breastfeeding workshop is back up and running from the comfort of your own home.
Join our virtual breastfeeding class on Thursday evenings 7-9pm. Recommended for couples who are around 34 weeks pregnant.
Community Feeding Support Clinics
From week commencing 19th April 2021:
|Mondays:||10.30-12.30||Revive Coffee Shop, CHERTSEY 99 Guildford Street KT16 9AS (join Little Lights Facebook page for tickets)|
|Tuesdays:||12.30-14.30||Moorcroft Community Centre WOKING Old School Place GU22 9LY (drop in)|
|Wednesdays:||11am-3pm||Weybridge Maternity Hub WEYBRIDGE Churchfield Pavillion, Churchfield Rd KT13 8BZ (appointment only)|
|Thursdays:||12.30-14.30||Ashford Maternity Hub ASHFORD Ashford Hospital, London Road TW15 3AA (drop in)|
|Fridays:||12.00-14.00||St John’s Church EGHAM Manor Farm Lane TW20 9HR (drop in)|
|Fridays:||9am-5pm||Tongue Tie Clinic ST PETER’s HOPSPITAL (appointment only)|
Come along from 36 weeks gestation for syringes and practical support with collecting colostrum antenatally.
Come along with your baby for postnatal feeding support and to meet other new parents.
Please note numbers are limited to 15 people and face masks must be worn at all times.
Breastfeeding Workshop Videos
- The Value of Breastfeeding
- Breastmilk Components
- Skin to Skin
- Positioning and Attachment
- Getting off to the Best Start
- Signs That Your Baby is Hungry
- Troubleshooting Problems
- Antenatal Colostrum Harvesting