To qualify for assessment for surgery you are required to have attended and completed a Specialist Weight Management Service. Below are the NICE guidelines with regard to suitability for bariatric surgery.
- BMI of 35kg/m2 or above, with co-morbidities such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease etc.
- BMI of 40 kg/m2 or more with or without any co-morbidities.
- Have first attended and completed a specialist weight management course (Tier 3).
- You must be able and willing to see our specialists.
- You must be fit for surgery and anaesthesia.
- You understand the need for long term follow up and commitment, both before and for 2 years after surgery.
- You have tried and failed with conventional dieting, exercise, and medication to lose and maintain weight.