We primarily provide outpatient appointments virtually and in a face-to-face capacity from Ashford hospital. We work closely within a multi-disciplinary team, which includes surgeons, consultant physicians, psychologists, physiotherapists and bariatric specialist nurses (SNs) to help individuals living with obesity in their journey to improve their long-term health, quality of life and to lose weight.
We offer specialist evidence-based dietary advice to people living with obesity. This involves:
- In our Specialist Weight Management service and the Bariatric Surgical Service, we provide individually tailored advice and support to people living with obesity, with or without other medical conditions.
- If people want bariatric surgery, we prepare them for the dietary considerations needed before and after surgery to help improve their outcomes.
- Provide structured education to people living with obesity, mostly virtually but also in virtual group sessions.
- Offer one-to-one consultations
- Provide biweekly assessments in MDT clinics.
- Attend MDT meetings to provide dietetic feedback to determine the best care pathway.
- Provide specific dietary advice for people after surgery to ensure that they do not develop nutritional deficiencies.
- For people prescribed weight loss medication, to provide dietary advice to help minimise side effects and maximise outcomes.
- Liaise with relevant team members if people need extra assistance, such as needing to speak with a psychologist to help them develop and understand their triggers for eating.
- Work closely with the other health professions to ensure that a holistic approach is maintained.
- ASPH leaflets
- BOMSS (British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society)
- Diabetes UK - healthy eating advice, recipes, and meal plans
- British heart foundation (BHF) - healthy eating advice, meal plans
- Attending a video consultation
Ward(s) you may stay on